The Justice for Victims of COVID-19 Act would strip China of its immunity in US courts, allowing private parties to sue the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) over its handling of the disease, which originated in Wuhan, China. The legislation would also create a Justice for Victims of COVID-19 Task Force within the US State Department which would investigate Beijing's handling of the outbreak, as well as secure compensation from the CCP.
H/T: Zero Hedge
“Today I’m announcing legislation to hold China accountable,” he tweeted. “My bill would strip China of its immunity in US courts and create a private right of action against the Chinese Communist Party for silencing whistleblowers and withholding critical information about COVID-19.”
Today I’m announcing legislation to hold #China accountable. My bill would strip China of its immunity in US courts and create a private right of action against the Chinese Communist Party for silencing whistleblowers & withholding critical information about #COVID19— Josh Hawley (@HawleyMO) April 14, 2020
“There is overwhelming evidence that the Chinese Communist Party’s lies, deceit, and incompetence caused COVID-19 to transform from a local disease outbreak into a global pandemic,” said Hawley in a statement, adding: “We need an international investigation to learn the full extent of the damage the CCP has inflicted on the world and then we need to empower Americans and other victims around the world to recover damages. The CCP unleashed this pandemic. They must be held accountable to their victims.”
More from Hawley's statement:
The Justice for Victims of COVID-19 Act will:
- Make the Chinese government liable for civil claims in U.S. courts by:
- Creating a private right of action against the Chinese government for any reckless action it took that caused the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States, such as its decisions to withhold information and to gag doctors;
- Stripping the Chinese government of sovereign immunity for these actions so that plaintiffs can sue; and
- Allowing courts to freeze Chinese government assets so victims can enforce their claims;
- Establish the Justice for Victims of COVID-19 Task Force at the State Department to:
- Lead an international investigation to determine how Beijing’s decisions to distort and conceal information about the COVID-19 outbreak—including by using the World Health Organization to parrot its lies—caused this global pandemic; an
- Lead an international effort to secure compensation from the Chinese government, including by preparing options to compel Beijing to provide restitution, if at first it resists international demands for the same.