Peter Daou called Saturday for former vice president and presumptive 2020 Democratic nominee Joe Biden to drop out of the race. Citing new evidence of possible sexual misconduct, Daou — who had previously advised both former Secretaries of State Hillary Clinton and John Kerry — argued that the party could not afford for Biden to not take the accusations of former aide Tara Reade seriously.
H/T: Daily Caller
DIFFICULT THREAD -- #BIDEN SHOULD WITHDRAW— Peter Daou (@peterdaou) April 25, 2020
1. I respect the will of the voters.
2. But new information has emerged supporting #TaraReade's account of being sexually assaulted by #JoeBiden.
3. Credible rape accusations are disqualifying or we have NO moral standards.
4. Defeating Trump is NOT OPTIONAL.— Peter Daou (@peterdaou) April 25, 2020
5. To avoid potential catastrophe in Nov., #Biden should withdraw.
6. #Warren, #Harris, #Klobuchar, #Buttigieg, #Castro, etc. could replace Biden.
7. #Bernie can restart his campaign.
8. We can reboot the primary and give voters a choice.
9. This is the ethical position AND the smarter strategy to beat Trump.— Peter Daou (@peterdaou) April 25, 2020
10. We lose ALL moral authority if we embrace "the lesser of two accused rapists."
11. Polls show other Dem candidates can win.
PRINCIPLES MATTER. WE CAN BEAT TRUMP AND PROTECT OUR VALUES.#DropOutBiden
ADDENDUM 2:— Peter Daou (@peterdaou) April 25, 2020
My thread is not about #Bernie winning. I explicitly stated that Biden can be replaced with any of the other Dem candidates and we can restart the primary and give voters a choice.
This is about RED MORAL LINES. Sexual assault is unquestionably one of those lines.
ADDENDUM 4:— Peter Daou (@peterdaou) April 25, 2020
Spare me the "you're helping Trump" b.s.
The only Dems helping Trump are Pelosi, Schumer, and their establishment colleagues who have given him a space force, Patriot Act, trade bill, ICE funding, and all the rightwing judges his heart desires.
ADDENDUM 6:— Peter Daou (@peterdaou) April 26, 2020
If you're using the exact same arguments against #TaraReade that Republicans used against #ChristineBlaseyFord, do some soul searching.
Feel free to compromise your principles. As for me, I think the ONLY way to beat Trump is to stick to our principles.
NEW: Tara Reade condemns Democratic and media silence, demanding equal treatment to "other survivors" like Christine Ford.— Mary Margaret Olohan (@MaryMargOlohan) April 25, 2020
"I'm sorry that I'm politically inconvenient but my perpetrator was Joe Biden," she told me. "And people need to deal with it."https://t.co/qvHZhIMr0P